Who doesn’t want to look best? Spending a little time on yourself can make you look like a dapper. Following the grooming tips for men right from the morning is an honored art.
A bad haircut, unmaintained hygiene, bad breath, all are embarrassing. Definitely, they can bring down your confidence level. However, developing a simple and quick routine helps you impress people and you don’t even have to spend your fortune on that. I bet you can.
Try these hacks.
Essential Grooming Tips for Men
1. Oral Hygiene
Brush and Floss
No one ever likes bad breath. That’s why nitty-gritty of oral hygiene is a must. Toothbrush (even how good it is) can’t reach certain areas inside your mouth. That’s where flossing comes in. Flossing prevents you from sticky bacteria and stop the formation of plaque.
Did you know plaque leads to bad breath? It also makes that red stuff ooze out from the gums. Just the use of mouthwash cannot replace the need of a good floss. Don’t worry. Floss at least once daily to upkeep your oral hygiene.
Rules to Follow While Brushing and Flossing
- Never scrub your teeth while brushing. On the contrary, go for up and down gentle motion.
- Floss at least once daily.
- Always floss both sides of each of your tooth.
- Brush your teeth after flossing to prevent gum diseases and tooth decay.
Many people see their gums bleeding after flossing. Generally speaking, this bleeding stops on its own. And, there’s nothing to worry about it. However, if the bleeding continues, get in touch with a good dentist.
Brushing and flossing have their own rules. Check out this video to know how to floss the right way.
Pollution clogs your face with nasties. Applying any face wash may not give you the desired result. To prevent your face from getting extra-dry and tight, know your skin type. If your skin is dry and mature, shop for oil-based cleansers. Remember to scrub your face to get rid of all the dirt. Then, apply cleanser. Only once a day before going to the bed.
Most of the guys take a bar of soap to clean their face. Furthermore, they rub it hard while cleansing. Needless to say, these habits can affect your skin badly causing blemishes. Scrubbing your skin hard can also give rise to wrinkles. You just need to follow certain simple rules while cleansing. Here they’re.
Rules to Wash Your Face
- Wash your face twice daily. One in the morning and the other before going to bed.
- Use your fingers lightly to massage your face well while cleansing.
- Take out generous amount of the face wash so as to cover your whole face.
- Give your time to wash the face thoroughly. Make sure to get rid of all the soap on your face. Otherwise, dirt will remain stick to your skin leading to pimples.
- Once you’re done with cleansing, use lukewarm water to wash your face.
Un-moisturized skin may make you look like you were behind the crypt door for years. Therefore, don’t skip moisturizing. Groomed men love moisturizing. Moisturizing is an essential part of daily skin care regimen. It makes your skin healthy and smooth.
Let’s face the truth. The skin of men ages sooner or later. Use of a good moisturizer regularly helps you retain the moisture of your skin. In addition to it, they delay the aging process. So, your face won’t develop wrinkles at a young age.
To start your day off right, apply a moisturizer loaded with SPF. It will not only shield your skin again the harmful UV rays but also will pep up your dull and tired skin.
Your skin enters the repair mode in the night. Applying moisturizer on your face during night will nourishes it. This also can go a long way to fight wrinkles.
Just like other skin-care process, men also need to stick by some rules regarding how to apply moisturizer the right way. Definitely, following the rules ensure long-term skin benefits.
Rules to Apply Moisturizer
- Moisturize your skin after shaving or exfoliating. Sometimes, exfoliation and shaving strips your skin of excess oil. Therefore, applying of moisture after that enables you to get back the lost moisture.
- Clean your face thoroughly before moisturizing. It will help the moisturizer to get absorbed in the skin well and quickly.
- Once you washed your face, take a towel to pat it dry. Avoid rubbing. Apply the moisturizer on slightly damp skin.
- Take a little amount of the moisturizer and spread it evenly on your face. Applying too much moisturizer on the skin can have negative effects.
To reap the benefits of moisturizing, shop for a good moisturizer. You can consider buying Eve Hansen Face Cream with SPF 30.
Keeping beard is cool. But, no girl has ever said, “I love frizzy and smelly beard.” Trim it regularly to avoid the jungle-man look. Managing the facial fuzz has become a regular fixture. A decent beard trimmer can make this job easy. (Also, check out how to trim beard easy and quick).
A lot of beard styles are out there. Consider your face shape while trying one. If you want to impress your GF with a beard, have a look at these styles. Love these styles? Go to a barber if you’re not confident about how to get that particular shape.
Carmelo Guastella, an experienced barber, suggests trimming hairs from upper lips so that they don’t creep into the mouth. Also, trim stubble from your lower neck to prevent them from merging with your chest hair.
Rules to Follow While Trimming Your Beard
- Never trim your beard when wet. Wet beard appears longer than it actually is. Therefore, trim your beard only when it is completely dry.
- Mind it, neckline and jawline are not the same. Trimming your jawline beard will make it shrink. Ultimately, the beard style will not match your face making the stubble look very small.
- Always comb the facial hair in the opposite direction. It will show you the uneven areas of your beard, making the trimming job easy.
- Pick the trimming tool as per your preference. For instance, if you’re a regular user of clippers, don’t change it to scissors and vice versa.
- Never be in a rush while trimming. Reserve enough time and be careful to avoid any cuts. If you’re in a hurry, it’s better to skip trimming on that day.
Look for These Features While Buying a Trimmer
b) Fast Charge
d) Effortless precision
You can buy this electric mustache and beard trimmer. It has all the features mentioned above.
5. Beard Care
Finally, you become a part of the bearded folks. Maintaining the beard is essential to look damn hot. Beard maintenance and cleansing is the basic of beard grooming. If you don’t take care of it, dandruff and acne may start to make their nest there.
Good beard oil is a must-have for every man who want to soften their stubble. Another coup de grace of using beard oil is that it makes your facial hair smell amazing. And, who doesn’t want that extra? Therefore, use nourishing beard oil to condition your stubble and the hair beneath.
Pretty similar to other grooming tips for men, there are certain rules out there on applying beard oil. Let’s check out.
Rules to Follow to Apply Beard Oil
- Dry your beard completely before applying the oil. Doing so will enable the water to get absorbed quickly.
- Apply the oil every other day and adjust the application as required.
- Pour 2-3 drops of oil on your palm and spread it evenly on the beard using your palms and fingers.
- Make sure that you’ve applied the oil even to the sideburns where there isn’t much growth.
- Once applied, comb your beard with a small-toothed comb.
Your haircut can create bold style statements. Whether it’s a short quiff haircut or a texture pompadour fade, the haircut is an unavoidable part of your grooming game. Especially for the fashion-forward gents who want to stand out of the crowd. However, considering the latest haircut trends may help you to inspire others in your circle.
Find a good barber to get the haircut that matches your face shape. Receding or thinning? Let your barber take the decision.
As soon as you notice that hair needs a trim, go to your barber without delaying. Unlike other guys, your locks may have a growth spurt. That means you’ve to visit the barbershop more frequently to maintain the cut. To get the look of your favorite actor through the haircut, following certain rules is a must. Check out to know what they’re.
Rules to Follow While Having a Haircut
- Feel free to ask your barber what haircut will look good on you. Though he isn’t a mind reader, yet he can use his experience to give you the best advice.
- Make sure your hair isn’t sweaty or greasy prior to visiting your hair salon.
- Haircutting is an art. Therefore, never attempt to cut your own hair. On the contrary, leave this job for a professional.
- Be very descriptive while explaining the haircut you want to your barber.
- If you’ve cowlicks, tell about it to your barber. Otherwise, he may get misguided.
7. Hair Styling
Just having a haircut isn’t enough. Styling it properly is equally important. It adds to your natural beauty. Moreover, it enhances your personality too. In case you’re trying to impress others, but your hair is completely messed up, people will not take you seriously.
You’ve to be very careful while styling your hair. It should match not only your face shape but also your hair types like its texture and density. Let’s dive into the rules to learn how to style it like a professional.
Rules to Follow for Hair Styling
- In the first place, style with your hair only when it is thoroughly cleaned. Make sure that you’ve no dandruff or any other hair issues. If you’ve, get rid of it, and then focus on styling.
- Choose the right hair styling product to prevent your hair from getting damaged.
- All the hair styling products are not made to apply on dry hair. For instance, mousse and hairsprays can be applied on dry hair. But, if you’re using pomade or a clay product, wet your hair a little before applying.
- While shopping for your hair styling products, avoid super-cheap and alcohol-loaded products.
8. Wash Your Hair Less Often
Washing your hair daily? You’re way off. As per the Manhattan dermatologist, Susan Bard, washing hair with shampoo just three days in a week is enough to maintain healthy scalp and hair.
Unless your scalp is very greasy, shampooing daily is bad. It can strip away the moisture from your scalp and hair, making them extremely dry. However, that doesn’t mean that you should skip shampoo. If the hair is bit toasty outside, just rinse it off with normal water. Or, you can choose to keep it dry.
Selecting the right shampoo for your hair type is also a big issue for many guys. Following these rules will make the selection easy.
Rules to Follow While Buying Shampoo
- Shampoos for normal hair suit almost all guys. They are gentle on hair and doesn’t make the hair extra-dry.
- If you’ve fine hair, look for volumizing shampoos to give your hair a lift.
- For straight and frizzy hair, smoothing shampoos are ideal.
- Pick sulfate-free shampoos if you’ve delicate hair.
Eyes are the doors to reach your soul. And, eyebrows are like the curtains. If your eyebrows are in proper shape, they enhance the beauty of your face. This implies both guys and gals.
Generally, men have fuller and hairier eyebrows. Therefore, without timely trimming, it starts to look scraggly. Fortunately, maintaining a neat and well-shaped brow doesn’t call of visiting the salon. It’s a DIY job. So, you can do it easily at home. To know how to trim your eyebrows, check out this blog.
Some Don’ts while Trimming the Eyebrows
- Avoid over-tweezing as it can give you sparser eyebrows. Start slow, and don’t pluck many hairs.
- Never skip applying brow gel. Applying brow gel will help you to fill the sparse spots in your eyebrows, elevating the look instantly.
- Don’t get your eyebrows waxed. Waxing the eyebrows may remove all the fine hairs from the middle section.
- Never start trimming from the top. Otherwise, you’ll have an overly-arched eyebrow like women. Rather, proceed by trimming them from the bottom to maintain the fuller look.
No need to look here and there to gather all the tools you need to trim eyebrows. Go shopping for this kit.
10. Nose and Ear Hairs
Ear and nose hairs are definitely not flattering. When a couple of hairs poke out of your nose and ears, better you play safe by trimming them immediately. Pressed for time? Just take a small pair of scissors and tilt your head backward to trim the easily noticeable hairs.
Your roommate’s tweezers are not in your orifices. Using them may give you infection. Therefore, invest in an electric trimmer to get rid of those hairs. Or, you can use the above-mentioned kit for the same.
Rules for Trimming the Nose and Ear Hairs
- Avoid cutting the nose and ear hairs with normal nail scissors.
- Never wax your ear hairs. Doing so can clog your ears for a few days (in case you develop reaction against it).
- Opt for trimming as it is the cost-effective, fastest, and painless way to remove the hair.
- Try to use electric trimmer that is specifically designed to trim the nose and ear hairs. These kinds of trimmers work blazingly fast. Moreover, they don’t go deep into the ears.
Fragrance etiquette. That’s another important part of men’s grooming.
According to Chandler Burr, a renowned fragrance expert and a former perfume critic of New York Times, once commented that scent tells people who you’re.
Many guys out there think that grandpas and continental type men only wear perfume. Wrong. It’s for everyone. Suppose, you forget to wear perfume before stepping outside. Unknowingly, you’re making women feel that you’re unorganized.
With so many fragrances available, finding the perfect match is time-consuming. No worries. I’m here to help.
Rules to Find the Best Perfume
- Find a fragrance that complements the natural chemistry of your body.
- Look for a cologne that lasts longer than others. Cologne with 20-30% fragrance extract lasts up to 24 hours, even with a small dab.
- Test how the fragrance is reacting to your skin.
- Never test more than four fragrances at a time as you may get confused.
- Research online before visiting the store personally. This will help you get some idea which perfume you’d love to buy.
First impression lasts. Well-groomed nails prevent the buildup of debris inside them. Moreover, grimy paws can have potentially negative effects on others’ minds about you.
Now, comes the question of how to groom your nails. Well, here’s the answer.
How to Cut Your Nails?
- Trim the nails always in a straight line. Start with cutting the topmost part of your nail.
- Short your nails to the point where no white part can be seen.
- While doing so, make sure that you’re not clipping the nail bed.
- Make all the sharp edges of your nails smooth.
- Don’t get triangular or rounded shaped nails. Let it be for women’s only.
Cutting the nails regularly is what every man should count on. Some of the tools you may need for nail trimming are:
Having armpit hair may not make you feel fresh. Getting rid of it enables you to smell fresh for a long time. Plus, going bare isn’t a painful process.
Regarding armpit shaving, celebrity groomer, Michelle Harvey said, “How long a person wants to keep his armpit hair is his personal choice. I would prefer to keep the pit hair neatly trimmed always.”
If you haven’t tried shaving armpit hair yet, scissors are your safe bet. To avoid prickly hair, keep the length of the hair at least 3/4th of an inch.
Word to the wise- Go slow! Don’t attempt to trim underarm hair if in a rush. First of all, shave upwards. Then, shave downwards to catch the left out hairs. Never drag the razor sideways as it may lead to irritation. If you find there’s any trapped hair, use loofah to scrub the area. Once done, apply a shave balm to smooth the underarms. To avoid perspiration, pat powder gently over those shaved areas.
14. Chest Hair Grooming
Most men neglect their chest hair while learning grooming tips for men. Chest rug isn’t going to enhance your masculinity. On the contrary, most women prefer men with a neatly groomed chest. The trend of keeping chest hair isn’t going to make a comeback anytime soon. So, why don’t you get rid of it?
Choose a high-quality electric trimmer to shave. Go for a trimmer that has several shaving grades. Avoid home waxes as it may not give you the expected results. In addition to it, they’re also known for causing irritation.
Chest Hair Grooming Rules
- If your chest hair is very coarse, keep the length of your hair long enough so that they can lie flat on your chest.
- In case, you’re not sure about which direction to pull your razor, follow the direction your hairs are pointing.
- Once the shaving is done, apply moisturizer to the shaved area to avoid irritation.
Ready to invest in salon to get the hair removed? Most of the salon prefer waxing, as this lady says in the video shared below. If your skin isn’t sensitive, you can opt for waxing.
15. Get Rid of Back Hair
Having a hairy back? Women love stubble but definitely not the back hair.
Depilation is unavoidable in getting sexy back. Though waxing is also a feasible option, yet shaving is the least expensive and easy option.
To get a fuzz-free back, following the rules discussed below will certainly help you.
Rules to Follow to Get a Hairless Back
- Shave in the hair growth direction.
- Getting shower before shaving smoothens the hair, which makes the job easy while ensuring clarity.
- Trim the hair slightly before shaving to prevent blades from getting clogged.
- If you’re looking for a long-lasting solution, seek a professional and get back waxing. The result lasts for two months at least.
16. Take Shower Daily
Do you know only two-thirds of Americans shower daily? Definitely, showering daily isn’t mandatory.
But it becomes very important if:
- You exercise daily
- Concern about your body odor
- Want to refresh after waking up in the morning
Here, we’re talking about men grooming tips, right? So, I’d emphasize on having shower daily. At the same time, I’d recommend you to stay away from hot shower. The hot shower can strip the natural oil from your skin, leaving it dry and patchy.
Taking a shower is a good choice if you sweat profusely. People living in hot climate also should shower daily to smell fresh.
17. Keep Your Balls Fresh
You may think grooming your hair, nails, and face are enough. But, if you’re ready to step up your grooming game, keep your butts and balls fresh and dry. Maintaining the hygiene of your balls can go a long way to give you irritation-free skin.
As per John Zampella, assistant professor of dermatology NYU Langone’s Tisch Center, bacteria growing in the nether regions cause skin infections. It can also lead to bad smells. Practicing good ball-focused hygiene gives you comfort and keeps you away from many skin diseases.
- Scrub your balls gently daily even if you’re not taking a full shower.
- Use a fragrance-free antibacterial soap to clean this area. The skin in this part is very sensitive. Therefore, take your time to choose the right soap.
- Once washed, dry the area thoroughly using a clean towel.
- After that, apply powder to your balls to prevent it from sweating and chafing.
18. Work Out
Whatever grooming tips for men you follow, if you’re not fit, all your efforts will go into the drain.
Having a fit and toned body is really cool. You can easily draw the eyes on you with a gym-trained body. And for that, you need to do exercise daily.
Initially, it may be challenging. But, it definitely worth your effort and time.
If you want to get results quickly through exercising, follow the tips shared below.
Rules to Follow While Working Out
- Drink water before, during and after your exercise to keep the body hydrated.
- Exercise only when you’re feeling energetic.
- Start with warming up or stretching exercises to prevent injury.
- Undertaking HIIT session thrice a week for at least 20 minutes help you to lose fat quickly.
Shoes and socks trap your feet all day long. It can make your feet stink. Ultimately, people will begin to avoid you.
However, scrubbing and exfoliating your feet regularly can prevent your feet from smelling bad. Exfoliation removes the dead skin cells that were causing the bad rep. Whenever you return home and find your feet sweaty, this care can help you make the feet smell fresh.
Grooming has its own role to play in both personal and professional life. Groomed guys have a higher level of confidence. Pampering yourself also makes you happy. So, why not spend some time on yourself?